Help Paying for Child Care

Skip to Content

Accessible Navigation and Information

Use the following links to quickly navigate around the page. The number for each is the shortcut key.


You are on this page: Help Paying for Child Care

New York State Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

The NYS CCAP helps eligible families with some or all of the cost of child care. Each Local Social Services District (LSSD) manages the CCAP with funding and support from the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).

How to Apply

If you would like to apply for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), contact the LSSD that manages the CCAP where you live to request an application.

To find your local agency's contact information, you can search for your local social services district in our contact list:

Eligibility Requirements

Families may qualify based on income, reasons for needing day care, and a child’s age or individual needs.

Income Requrements

Here are the maximum amounts a family can make and still qualify. While this information can be a helpful tool, families should submit an application to their LSSD to find out if they qualify. Income is only one factor to qualify for child care assistance in New York State. Other families may also qualify, based on their specific needs.

Income limits for eligibility by family size.
Family Size Annual Income Limit* see table footnote Monthly Income Limit
1 $40,770.00 $3,397.50
2 $54,930.00 $4,577.50
3 $69,090.00 $5,757.50
4 $83,250.00 $6,937.50
5 $97,410.00 $8,117.50
6 $111,570.00 $9,297.50
7 $125,730.00 $10,477.50
8 $139,890.00 $11,657.50
* Annual Income Limit numbers are 300% Federal Poverty Level (FPL), effective 08/01/22 - 06/01/23.

Activity Requirements

Currently, the CCAP is available for most families who need child care to work, look for work, attend employment training, attend an education program, and/or meet income requirements. Contact your LSSD for the most up to date information about what service needs or activities may qualify to meet this requirement.

Family Share (also called Family Copay or Family Fee)

If you qualify, you may need to pay a portion of the cost of care depending on your situation. If you qualify for CCAP, you will receive a notice of approval that includes whether you have a family share, how much it is, and how to pay it. Failure to pay your required family copay, may cause you to lose your eligibility.

Additional Information

If you want help finding child care, you can use the Find Child Care feature on the OCFS website or contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCRR). The CCRRs are a great tool for families to not only find child care, but they can provide other general information as well.

Low-income families with children age five or younger may qualify for help paying for child care through the federal Head Start program. To learn more, visit the links below:

Coming Soon

Coming soon: You will be able to check your eligibility for the CCAP by completing a pre-screen through You can currently use this tool to find out if you might qualify for other helpful programs. You will still need to reach out to your LSSD to verify eligibility.

For more information about the Child Care Assistance Program, and to find other useful resources, please visit the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) page.